[clue-talk] Management and Positions of Power: Fewer IT professional and Engineers?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 19:35:23 MST 2006

On 11/9/06, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> Actually a lot of first line managers were promoted from within at a lot
> of companies.  Good techs don't always make good managers.  And some do.
>   It's a gamble.  Companies that are good at testing and training and
> understanding what they need from every position in their organization
> are also good at finding the right people for those slots.

I would take that one step further: good [techs|engineers] almost
never make good managers. The personality types who can motivate and
control other technical people, who can play the political game, and
who can tolerate the mindless, repetitive budgeting and reporting
processes in an organization are rarely to be found in a technician of
any sort. I'm a reasonably competent technician, but I would be a
miserable failure as a manager.

--
Collins Richey