[clue-talk] Management and Positions of Power: Fewer IT professional and Engineers?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Nov 9 21:13:36 MST 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

> I would take that one step further: good [techs|engineers] almost
> never make good managers. The personality types who can motivate and
> control other technical people, who can play the political game, and
> who can tolerate the mindless, repetitive budgeting and reporting
> processes in an organization are rarely to be found in a technician of
> any sort. I'm a reasonably competent technician, but I would be a
> miserable failure as a manager.

I managed a NOC for about two years.  I wasn't a miserable failure, but
I didn't enjoy myself either.

I did have the advantage of the company sending me to a course on
typical pitfalls of technicians who become managers, which helped some.

But ultimately I didn't find it very satisfying.

If I'd have stayed in it over the last six to seven years instead of
bouncing out and going back into technical work, I'm sure my salary
would be much higher -- if I'd have retained a job during the bust after
the 90's, etc. etc. etc...

But considering I didn't really enjoy it... probably not.

I remember having to argue when they tore down a wall that my staff
really did need a sink installed next to the coffee pot, even if there
was one down the hall in the bathrooms.  (Good lord.)

And then getting scolded for blowing the capital budget -- the sink was
$500.  Retarded.  The company was making record profits -- not just
profits, but record ones.  And they did for years...

I'm good as a tech at understanding where my managers are coming from
and the silliness they're having to deal with, but I find most of it too
stupid to deal with personally.  :-)

Nate