[clue-talk] Management and Positions of Power: Fewer IT professional and Engineers?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 07:30:26 MST 2006

rex evans wrote:
> My view:
> This has changed at the top, and trickled down
> to the point that now, many first line managers
> do not have very much technical training or
> experience.

Well, let's be honest - management does not solve technical problems -
that's why they hire engineers.  Also, the big difference I have seen
between staff and management is that staff are almost universally
technophiles - they are in IT because they love computer-related
technology.  Managers may not be in love with IT.  I would argue that a
good manager can manage any situation.  It obviously helps to have a
technical background, as we know.  But a technical background just gives
a manager empathy for his engineers when things don't go as planned.  It
also give the manager the possibility to call bullsh*t on questionable
engineering decisions when he smells it.

Management's job is to ensure projects completed and run the data to day
operations.  They manage people, resources, budgets.  They are
responsible for projects, but may not manage them.  It sounds simple,
but it's hard to be a good manager.  That's why so many employees get
irritated with their manager - only 1 in 5 are very good at being a
manager.  And there is the politics which is the root cause of a lot of
stupid problems.  Also, the HR factor: you would be surprised how much
time a bad employee can suck from a manager.

Unfortunately, some people who get into power think that they are
entitled to make whatever decisions they want.  A good manager knows
that he is there to serve his staff and do his day-to-day job of
managing operations.

Also, many IT guys I know are not cut out for management.  They are can
be too introverted.  This often can make them unapproachable and shy.
You can't be shy when you ass is on the line, reporting to a VP or the
board of directors.  They will crush you like a little toy.  Not because
they don't like you personally, but because they have to answer to
someone.  Everyone has a boss.

Lastly, the worst kind of manager is the 'brilliant architect' or 'best
technical guy who knows *everything* about IT'.  I have run into many of
these guys who were unfortunately promoted into management, instead of
leaving them in their senior IT position.  One Director I know used to
bring his laptop to senior staff meetings and he coded perl during the
meeting.  He couldn't let go of his love of technology.  He left the
company to be a technical consultant and is much happier.

My 0.02
Jeff