[clue-talk] MS Vista

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Oct 17 14:27:40 MDT 2006

dperkins at frii.com wrote:

>>> I didn't look at the different licenses, so I don't know how it differs
>>> from the home version.  I'm not sure how I feel about only being able to
>>> transfer to another machine only once.  It doesn't seem right, but I
>>> don't
>>> use Windows at home.  Not being to VM it might be a bigger issue for
>>> people.
>>>
>> It's fun to watch them self-destruct, isn't it?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Nate
>>

> I'm wondering how many people will flock to Vista.  It sounds like
> anything over 1 to 1 1/2 years might not be able to run Vista.  The
> hardware specs seem pretty high.  But maybe they don't care about anything
> already running.
Yeah, the biggest problem (at least from the machines that I see that I
have) is that they've more than doubled the memory requirements from
XP.  Usually each next version of Windows just doubles the requirements,
but XP was 256 MB of RAM and now Vista is 1 GB of RAM.  I guess they did
this for the hardware manufacturers.

For me, upgrading my older systems to 1 GB of RAM is just barely
possible and really more expensive than it's worth.

Angelo