[clue-talk] MS Vista

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Oct 17 15:25:50 MDT 2006

dperkins at frii.com wrote:

> I'm wondering how many people will flock to Vista.  It sounds like
> anything over 1 to 1 1/2 years might not be able to run Vista.  The
> hardware specs seem pretty high.  But maybe they don't care about anything
> already running.

Businesses and lemmings will flock, it's a fact of life.  :-)

Microsoft (and many other software companies out there) have figured out
that it's not about features, stability, or any of the usual
"engineering" metrics that determine whether or not a business buys
software.

Once the software is purchased and entrenched in the company that bought
it, after that it's all about whether or not they can maintain a service
contract on it for support.  No middle manager will recommend an
untested, untried system (Linux, whatever) over just pushing the upper
bosses for money for a "required" service contract upgrade.

The latter is "easier" to pitch, and people will always take the easy
route until there's such a huge monetary reason not to that they can't
avoid the hard work of a conversion process anymore.

All M$ has to do to get people to "flock" to Vista is to announce an
end-of-life date on XP.  And everyone will "magically" go.

Nate