[clue-talk] MS Vista

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 15:28:25 MDT 2006

No, they increase hardware requirements to a) support computationally expensive coding or b) to makeup for inefficient coding.  Given MS history of bloatware I'd bet on the latter.  Most of the hardware requirements are used to support Vista Aero UI which is on by default I believe.  Many similar features were pioneered by Apple Aqua and is available to Linux via XGL/Compiz (out-of-the-box in Suse) both of which do it with less hardware.  You can get Aero-like (even Aqua-like) effects on XP via third-parties, most notably Stardock's WindowBlinds and Object Desktop.

Brian