[clue-talk] Blog Hosting?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 19:59:22 MST 2006

On 10/31/06, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
>   https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

That looks interesting.

I recommend dreamhost.  The features they offer that might matter to a
cluebie: ssh, svn repository, personal jabber server, .snapshot
automatic backups for hourly/daily/weekly/monthly.

If you aren't familiar with the .snapshot option, it goes something like this:

# rm -rf some_really_important_file
<DAMN!>
<HIT HEAD ON DESK!>
<REMEMBER .snapshot files!>
<HIT HEAD ON DESK FOR FORGETTING THEM!>
# cp -r .snapshot/hourly.1/some_really_important_file ./
<walk away from shell!>

One thing that's nice about Dreamhost, while they aren't the biggest
host in the world, they are up there:
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/reports/total_domains/DREAMHOST.com

And unlike many of the hosts above them, Dreamhost is the actual
company selling all the services and is not a parking site.  When your
competition is your active sites against all of GoDaddy's parked
domains...it's hard to even be number 23.  If you do go with them, let
me know first and I'll get you a coupon code worth a fair bit off the
price.  I don't work for them, this is their referral deal, but I get
to set the amount of money that the coupon is worth and I set it
pretty high ;)  I'm not including it here so as not to be a total
spammer...

> or maybe the 800 lb gorilla of blog hosts, Hosting Matters.

Well, that's interesting...they aren't found in here:
http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/search/HOSTINGMATTERS.COM

> Though I guess I could live without it, I'd like ssh access.

Demand it!  They should be giving it to you...

Greg