[clue-talk] Vonage

Bob Fejes bob at fejes.net
Mon Apr 2 15:10:25 MDT 2007

dperkins at frii.com wrote:
> How many people in the group are using Vonage?  How good is it?

I use Vonage for home phone and fax.  My Internet connection is Comcast
cable.  It suits me fine, but I'd never use it at the office.

Pluses for me:  relatively cheap; lots of free features & LD; remote
control & monitoring over web; option to add any number of alias phone
numbers (including other area codes) for $5/month/number

Minuses: slightly more propagation delay than cellular; when
connectivity is bad it's completely unusable; sometimes controlling web
app is down

All in all, I recommend it for home use only if you have a cell or other
phone that you can use if it's down.  Obviously much depends on your
Internet connection.  It breaks about once every couple of months for
me, but I rarely use it from 8:30am-6pm.  Who knows... if I did, maybe
I'd see more problems.  When it's bad, it usually stays that way for an
hour or so.  Also, other cities can really suck.  My brother in suburban
Chicago had to cancel after several weeks and complaints to Vonage and
ISP.  It was almost never usable for him.

--
Bob Fejes
bob at fejes.net