No subject

Thu Dec 20 20:53:45 MST 2007

"fblogo will let you replace the penguin boot-logo you see when booting
Linux kernels with framebuffer support. It takes a PNG image as input and
generates an appropriate linux_logo.h, which can simply be included in the
kernel. It will be displayed when the framebuffer device is enabled. You
can also use it to generate full screen splash screens for the Linux
Progress Patch.:

Sounds like you'll need to recompile your kernel though.  But I believe
that the logo is compiled into the kernel anyway, so any solution would
require you to recompile.

If you want to completely disable it, you can probably comment out the
line that says:

fbcon_show_logo();

in drivers/video/fbcon.c of the kernel source.  I have not tested this
though, so I could be wrong.

Hope that helps!

As an aside, your request really got me to thinking.  Tux holding a beer
is a whimsical logo, and I've never thought much about it.  I had never
considered that it could actually hinder it's acceptance in a particular
use.  I wonder how many other groups face your problem?  Along with schools,
Muslim organizations certainly would not want to see the logo.  Recovery
groups, other religious organizations, even corporations who don't think
that beer-chugging Tux fits into their corporate image of themselves.
Right or wrong, I wonder how much Debian is limiting themselves because of
something as simple as a logo.  I'm not advocating one way or the other,
but it does make one think.

Regards,
Kirk