No subject

Thu Dec 20 20:53:45 MST 2007

(2003-03-18) -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld replied quickly
to Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien's apparently rhetorical question:
"If we change every government we don't like in the world where do we
start? Who is next?"

"Let me just take those in order," said Mr. Rumsfeld. "We're starting with
Iraq. North Korea's next. By the time we're done with them, we're hoping
the citizens of Canada and France will have changed their own regimes.
That would save us a lot of time, money and hassle."

(For those who haven't been there yet, Scrappleface is a satire site.)

> I read an interesting article the other day which suggested that if so
> many war protestors want peace, why aren't they doing something to help
> the victims, rather than complaining about Bush, jr.

Exactly. This is more and more the question which is high on my mind. Not
just for anti-war protestors though. For the Arab world (does Allah
sanction this?), for the UN, etc.

> Additionally, why isn't our government putting pressure on countries
> besides Iraq that are knowingly hurting their own people?

Or, if we're talking only ideology, why haven't we kicked the Chinese out
of Tibet?

Edwin Starr: "War ... What is it good for?"

Mott The Hoople: "Violence. It's the only thing that'll make you see
sense."

(I think it's too late for me to be writing.)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl