[clue-talk] national ID card

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Jul 1 16:40:11 MDT 2007

On Jul 1, 2007, at 11:14 AM, erik at ezolan.com wrote:

> Also an interesting note, Albertsons has stopped using the
> membership card.

Even more interesting:  Only in Colorado -- according to the checker
I asked about it yesterday.  She said if you travel out of state and
shop at Albertson's there, they're still using them.

My dad and I were discussing this last night over BBQ... our theory
is that the wimpy position of Albertson's in the Colorado marketplace
(far behind Kroger/King Soopers, Safeway, Wal-Mart, etc etc etc) and
the fact that people really just want to shop by price, especially
for commodity goods, made them think hard about how to gain market
share.  This pushed them to dropping the membership card here as a
(good) gimick to draw in customers who didn't like them from the
other major chains.

So in a twisted way, they probably don't care about our "privacy" but
they do care about money... and market share... and it's proof
perhaps that the chains to go after on privacy issues aren't the big
ones, with negativity... but to tout the "dropping the membership
card" tactic to merchants lower down the food chain (no pun intended,
but as I typed it I thought it was funny), as a way to gain customers.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com