[clue-talk] national ID card

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sun Jul 1 20:33:18 MDT 2007

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:40:11 -0600
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>

>>> Also an interesting note, Albertsons has stopped using the
>>> membership card.
>>>
>> Even more interesting:  Only in Colorado -- according to the checker
>> I asked about it yesterday.  She said if you travel out of state and
>> shop at Albertson's there, they're still using them.
>>

> Oh, BTW, I have a "privacy friendly" Sooper Card. I got it one evening
> when the checker offered to give me an application to fill out, and I said
> that since I didn't have my glasses with me, I'd have to take it home and
> return the application later. Since the cards are affixed to the
> application, she just scanned on of those, handed me that app, and I was
> on my way. Never did fill the thing out, and my Sooper Card still works.
> At the time, I hadn't planned on it, it's just that she was going to scan
> the card, so I figured I'd get a few cents off if I played along.

Here (in DC now) they don't really even care about your info.  All the
places I've been to just give you a card:  CVS, Safeway, etc. without
making you fill anything out.  I think they care more about seeing
trends and connections between what people buy and how often, and don't
really care with putting a face or a name to it.

And when I was in Colorado, I used to ask for the card when I was
checking out.  So instead of taking the time to have me fill it out,
they just gave me the cards and told me to bring the application in
later.  I definitely got the impression they didn't think it was that
important.  But then again, sometimes you do get those really anal
people who insist.

Angelo