[clue-talk] Microsoft Claims 235 Patents Violated

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:35:37 MDT 2007

Microsoft Claims Open--Source Technology Violates 235 of its Patents:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2129407,00.asp?kc=EWNAVEMNL051407EOAD

OK.  I've stayed on the sidelines for quite some time but that is NOT to say
that I haven't carefully watched the CLUE traffic over the last few months.
You guys/gals are some of the best informal information out there on Linux,
Open Source applications, tips and techniques, etc. in my book!

 So what do you think??? Is Microsoft serious about the claims against Linux
as the attached article portrays or is this just round two (round one being
SCO) of the FUD put out against Linux?  Delving into the article links, if I
read it right, it would appear even "Founding Father"  Richard Stallman
might have had some concerns about software patent violations.

Do you think this will be moved forward by Microsoft?  What do you think the
"short-term" and/or "long-term" effects might be on business adoption of
Linux?  Do you think this will have more of an impact on non-SUse
distributions?  Your thoughts???

Gary Threlkeld