[clue-talk] Microsoft Claims 235 Patents Violated

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Mon May 14 14:46:21 MDT 2007

There was an interesting analysis of this done, but I lost the link.  I
guess that's the hazard of relying on Google News.
This article:
talks about how the Supreme Court recently raised the bar for what
qualified for a software patent.

That article I read off Google News brings this up as a problem with the
MS patents.  Who knows how many of these patents are enforceable?
Eben Moglen commented that the "235" number means nothing.  RIM recently
got thwacked with a mere 7, 4 of which were thrown out.  One patent
violation is all that's necessary, but given the state of software
patents, even that might be more than MS has of value.

So, from my perspective, nothing's changed.  It's just more noise.

I am not a lawyer, but I think there's a lot of FUD around this.  You
don't get sued for using the product of a patent violator.  No one came
after me for using my Blackberry.  No one bothered me for using software
that creates GIF files. Microsoft isn't going to sue anyone for using
Linux.  I think.

-Dave

P.S.  Here's that link.  That's the upside of relying on Google :)
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

    Moglen contends that software is a mathematical algorithm and, as
    such, not patentable. (The Supreme Court has never expressly ruled
    on the question.) In any case, the fact that Microsoft might possess
    many relevant patents doesn't impress him. "Numbers aren't where the
    action is," he says. "The action is in very tight qualitative
    analysis of individual situations." Patents can be invalidated in
    court on numerous grounds, he observes. Others can easily be
    "invented around." Still others might be valid, yet not infringed
    under the particular circumstances.

I want someone to prove to me that "dance dance revolution" is a
mathematical algorithm.