[clue-talk] Re: Bible Academia

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 1 23:37:18 MDT 2007

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I have in general gotten one response from more fundamentalist type
> Christians, which is idea that either morality changed because "God
> said so" or that without Jesus, it would really be OK to stone women.
> (Let's keep in mind, not just OK, but RIGHT to stone women--you SHOULD
> stone them.)  I think they must choose this stance because of the "I
> did not come to change the law" part on Jesus' behalf.  If Jesus did
> not come to change the law, but merely add upon it, then you really
> can't say that stoning women back then was wrong.  I don't like this
> answer.  I think it was just as wrong back then as it is today.  Today
> we know better.

By the way, this is the same reason why the "conservatives" (or
whatever) can say abortion is wrong, but at the same time say that
capital punishment is right.  It's a view of the world in which it's ok
to kill people as punishment for certain crimes, while it's totally
immoral to kill someone without a conviction.  Personally, I'm against
both abortion and capital punishment.  Both grew out of being religious,
but I may have conceded aspects of them as my philosophy about it became
more robust and I don't rely on religion anymore to explain it.

Angelo