[clue-talk] Interesting Read

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Oct 4 13:31:20 MDT 2007

On 09-28 20:35, David L. Willson wrote:
> Sean, I think, said that some Chomsky guy said that the best way to
> avoid terrorism is not to participate in it.  Well, that got me all
> riled up, so I went and looked up that Chomsky guy.  'Turns out he
> builds a pretty good case:
>
> http://www.zmag.org/GlobalWatch/chomskymit.htm
>
> I've been considering being a dove for a while, anyway, consistent with
> the teachings of my hero...  I'm going to have to do some code review.

Yeah, when I first read Chomsky it was like taking the red pill.

I wanted, no, needed, him to be wrong - on everything he was saying about
our foreign policy. But having that nagging feeling that at least the
overall thrust of it might be right.

And I spent a lot of time casting around trying to find someone or something
debunking what he was saying. Even reading a book called the Anti-Chomsky
Reader. I wish I could say I found something that really debunked what he
was saying, point by point. I didn't. The Anti-Chomksy Reader was mostly
piffle. It attacked his character - he holds stocks or something and is a
tyrant in his own household with his children. Whatever, give me some real
meat. Tear down the *argument*, not the man.

I wanted a book or a site to show me something that is factual that proves
that the facts Chomsky throws out there are wrong. Some of the other attacks
dealt with sloppy scholarship; apparently he sometimes has cited his own
works, which yeah, under certain circumstances, could be considered a no-no.
But still, give me something to sink my teeth into. It was all such much
fluff. And some of the last chapters dealt with his linguistics theory,
which I don't know anything about and certainly don't find relevant.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old
enough to know better.