[clue-talk] Dreamhost is Nightmarehost -- Need a new hosting company

Jed S. Baer cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net
Sat Oct 20 12:29:46 MDT 2007

Hi Folks.

Once again, I'm looking for a new webhosting company. Regrettably,
Dreamhost has become completely unreliable, both for web hosting and
e-mail. Apparently, even the act of being accessed by a search engine will
bring my site (or the server I'm on) to its knees. Other server outages
occur on a semi-regular basis, but I don't know what the cause of those
are. E-mail regularly fails with session timeouts or authentication
errors. Hence, Dreamhost has become Nightmarehost.

I have one recommendation already for BlueHost, and I'll probably get a
COTSE.net account for e-mail, regardless, so that if I have to go through
this crap again, at least I won't have to switch e-mail addresses around.
(And since I know someone will suggest it, no, I'm not going to use
GMail.)

I just need reliable hosting with php/mysql, and ssh access.

Any recommendations welcome.

jed