[clue-talk] surveillance cameras

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Sep 21 16:16:03 MDT 2007

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> There was an article yesterday saying that the surveillance cameras in England have not reduced crime.  No surprise there.
>
> I'm guessing that the cameras are supposed to catch people running red lights.  Maybe they can identify the car, but can they identify the driver reliably?  It's one thing to be handed a ticket by an officer, but another to be identified by a camera.  Can it identify people who look very similar?  How about identical twins?

There have been some "fun" cases where speed and red light cameras have
caught some prominent politicians late at night with someone who's not
their significant other.

I remember reading shortly after that incident that that the speed
cameras in that city received no funding the next year, and were shelved.

;-)

"But it seemed like a good idea at the time!  Catch all the "bad" people!"

Nate