[clue-talk] surveillance cameras

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Sat Sep 22 22:19:50 MDT 2007

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
>> I just hope the people on the street are continued to be allowed to
>> videotape/photograph the cops and other people on the street during
>> events.
>
> Just watched the latest episode of CrankyGeeks where they interviewed
> a blogger who was jailed for over 200 days for filming the riots at
> the G8 summit in the Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago, and then
> refused to hand over his footage.  It's more complex than that,
> including the question of whether or not he was covered under the same
> rules a "journalist" would be, and the resulting debate about whether
> or not bloggers are "journalists"... but anyway... best to just
> download and watch the discussion.
Although I agree that he should not have to hand over the tape, and
should not have been jailed for not doing so, he used the incorrect
argument for not doing so.   He claimed he was protecting his sources.
They already knew the source of the tape.   He shot the video.

I am not sure the argument for "No, you can't have it.  It's my tape,
now go away!"