[clue-talk] surveillance cameras

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Sep 22 09:11:09 MDT 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I just hope the people on the street are continued to be allowed to
> videotape/photograph the cops and other people on the street during
> events.

Just watched the latest episode of CrankyGeeks where they interviewed
a blogger who was jailed for over 200 days for filming the riots at
the G8 summit in the Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago, and
then refused to hand over his footage.  It's more complex than that,
including the question of whether or not he was covered under the
same rules a "journalist" would be, and the resulting debate about
whether or not bloggers are "journalists"... but anyway... best to
just download and watch the discussion.

Sadly, the discussion shouldn't even be taking place.  He videotaped
cops arresting someone in a public street.  Its his videotape, and he
should not have to surrender it to the government (he did not, but
portions were sold to media outlets), nor should he have been in jail
for over 200 days.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com