[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Tue Sep 25 13:18:51 MDT 2007

Brian (and our respected readers):

So my summary of your point is reasonably accurate.  To summarize what
you've said below, it's been happening all along and it'll happen
anyway, so why try to stop it?

Here are my counter-points, which I will count on you to refute:

The unborn is a human, and should have the rights that we associate with
our humanity.  We (you and I, grown-up humans) can speak, and demand our
rights, I have chosen to speak on behalf of the unborn.  As a person who
was conceived unintentionally and carried under stressful circumstances,
I can confidently say that I prefer not to have been destroyed back
then.  Furthermore, even if the stressful circumstances of my
development had been many times worse, I prefer, beg, even demand, that
my mother endured them, for my sake, because she began me, and because I
am human.  I prefer, beg, even demand, that she should not, may not, and
must not, destroy me, after having begun me, for my sake, and for hers.
I have the right to life.  I only lay that right down, silently, if it's
"her or me".  In that case, and only that case, I choose to nobly
sacrifice my life, to protect hers.  I do NOT lay down my life for her
reputation, her convenience, or her career.  She can set those things
aside, so that I can live.  She started it, so to speak, and "I got my
rights" as the saying goes.  Only ...  I don't "got my rights".  Why?

I assert that less people will have abortions if it is illegal,
inconvenient, and/or unsafe for the mother.  It is already guaranteed to
be fatal for the baby.  I can't stop murder, theft, rape, or other forms
of abuse, but that doesn't mean that they should be legal, safe, and
convenient.  How ridiculous.  In what sort of society would we not even
try to defend the defenseless?  Apparently, ~this~ sort of society.
Shame on us.  Let us be shamed into action.

I will add a third element before I conclude.  I assert that induced
abortion's criminal quality is best revealed by the natural response of
guilt and shame that I, and a majority of those that made the choice to
kill, feel.  When a majority of people feel shame and guilt over an
action, it is reasonable to assume that that action is not healthy and
normal.

My conclusion, then, is that we must do everything we can to "abolish"
abortion, in the same way, and for the same reasons, that we abolished
slavery.  We have not eliminated slavery, it still exists, but we have
done what we can, and we have prevented it, in many cases, and we have
reached a point of understanding where very few people regard the
ownership of another person as something that is normal and healthy, and
should be legal, convenient, or safe.  We need to work together to get
to the same place with abortion.  Why?  Because we will save lives; more
people like me will make it to their birth day and beyond.  Because we
will save consciences; less people like me will have to live with the
guilt of choosing a permanent, predatory solution to a temporary problem
of inconvenience.  Because it is good and heroic to defend the
defenseless.  Wouldn't you have spoken out against slavery, against the
Holocaust?  Wouldn't you have sheltered one slave, bought him and then
set him free, or hidden one refugee?  What does it mean to know that
nearly 50 million people have been killed over inconvenience and do
nothing about it?  By way of comparison, 6 million people died in the
Nazi holocaust, and half a million were dragged from their homes and
enslaved here in America.  Why do you keep silent now or worse, defend
it?

This is the atrocity of our time, which we can abolish.

David