[clue-talk] Terminal Server options (was How do CLUEbies vote?)

Jed S. Baer cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net
Tue Sep 25 17:50:04 MDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:04:49 -0600
David Rudder wrote:

> P.S.  I started this monstrosity of a thread, and I was hoping it
> *would* be a technical discussion.  About how to properly vet and
> choose a presidential candidate.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2006/09/13/constitution_day
 -----
Some presidents had similar constitutional respect. In 1854, President
Franklin Pierce vetoed a bill to help the mentally ill, saying, "I cannot
find any authority in the Constitution for public charity," adding that
to approve the measure "would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of
the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union
of these States is founded."

President Grover Cleveland vetoed many congressional appropriations,
often saying there was no constitutional authority for such an
appropriation. Vetoing a bill for relief charity, President Cleveland
said, "I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the
Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General
Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering
which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit."
 -----

I think I could be happy with either Franklin Pierce or Grover Cleveland,
based on the above. Not much chance of electing either of them. But maybe
the time has come to put a dead guy in the oval office. We could mount a
national write-in campaign. Who's with me!

jed