[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Sep 26 18:40:27 MDT 2007

I was pretty surprised to hear there are 47 million abortions a year, so
I took the liberty of looking it up.

The CDC has really good data, but I wasn't able to find it in raw form.
I found it organized very well on Johnston's Archive.  I've never heard
of Johnston's Archive, but it says it uses CDC data and it's numbers
seem to match up with articles from the CDC website.  The Johnston's
Archive website doesn't seem to have a political affiliation.  The guy
who makes it is a doctorate student at U Texas.  Cool picture of him
with a missile on the "About me" page.  I have links to some articles
from the CDC website below.

The data goes up to 2003.  In 2003 we were at 850k abortions, with a
high of around 1.4m about a decade earlier.  So, 47m worldwide is a
realistic number.  I was hoping that number was made up.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ab-unitedstates.html

* Reagan: Went up and down, with a net change of something around 85k
more abortions at the end of his term.
* Bush Sr: Up, up, up, down, down.  Net change of 17k-ish up
* Clinton: Down for 7 of his 8 years.  Net change of almost 500k down!
* GWBush: down, up, down.  A net of 11k down.

For a comparison with GWB, Clinton was down 15k from 1992 to 1995.
The fact is that Clinton didn't raise the number of abortions, he
lowered them.  This can be for a number of reasons, which I'm sure we'll
argue about, but you can't argue with results.

Look, no one wants to kill babies.  The abortion debate (not the
question, the debate) has gotten out of hand and is no longer about
abortion.  It's about cheap theater.  It's about mobilizing your base.
The Republicans know they can paint the Dems as anti-children.  Which is
  pure silliness.  The Dems can sometimes use it to scare women into
voting, but it doesn't seem to be very effective.  But, Republicans had
a good few years of control of the all houses of the government, and yet
abortion is pretty much no more illegal now than then.  All sound and fury.

-Dave

Here's some good stuff from the CDC page:
NCHS - 1999 Fact Sheet - US Pregnancy Rate Lowest in Two Decades\
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/99facts/pregrate.htm

Factsheet on teenpreg.doc
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/factsheets/teenpreg.pdf

Estimated Pregnancy Rates for the United States, 1990-2000: An Update
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_23.pdf

Disclaimer:  I didn't read all of these articles closely.  Mostly I was
just checking to see if Johnston's Archive's numbers were correct.  And
I didn't do a very close job of it.  Feel free to check my work.