[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Sep 26 22:55:57 MDT 2007

David L. Willson wrote:
> Nate, Michael, David, Brian, Kevin, Sean, Collins, Dan, and all you
> lurkers,
>
> I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for a break from our
> discussion.  Maybe in a few days or weeks I'll post some thoughts on big
> churches and tiny seeds of faith, but for now, I'm dry and worn out.  I
> want to offer some sort of closing thought, something for you
> deep-thinkers to walk away with.

Don't worry, you already did... in your willingness to be open and
honest about how you feel on the topic.

Too many people avoid difficult topics today, for whatever reasons:
- Political "correctness" (nothing correct about not communicating)
- Fear of rejection
- Disappointing experiences with flame-fests (for us Internet junkies)
- Disappointing experiences with things in "real" life (me...
churches... you know... you read it...)
- Etc.

I too, enjoy a good old-fashioned "wrassle" with words and thoughts.  It
makes us all more alert and probably better people for it.

You mentioned that you told your son you were having a discussion online
with folks, or a "debate"... that's good.  He'll remember that his dad
valued the interchange of ideas and thoughts with others, long after
you're gone.

"An unexamined life is not worth living."
   --  Socrates

Real-life in the form of broken equipment is intruding on my "Internet
debate/fun time" here too... broken radios on top of a big mountain...
our ham radio club's radio system is ill, and since I'm the crazy dummy
who volunteered to be the club president for the time being, I guess
I'll be working on organizing a repair crew (even if that ends up just
being little ol' me) and getting my buns up there to fix it, so a couple
hundred of my "closest friends" can continue to use and enjoy it.  Thus,
I'll probably be "quiet" for a while now.  At least it's not snowing
(much) up there yet.  :-)

I've been vigorously and intensely involved in a number of online lists
and discussions lately -- which is interesting.  I haven't been doing
that for a while.   Guess there's a season for everything.

Everything from this list, where we had the political debate going, to
technical lists where we're all discussing the interesting new digital
radio technologies that are coming out for Amateur Radio operators.

Radios that can do "stuff" we're used to in "Internet-land" are now on
the market that allow for instantaneous Internet routing of voice audio
from one end of the country to the other, automatically finding the
station (person) you're looking for, so you can talk to them.

Very wide area (still relatively slow, but covering an amazing swatch of
ground, if you put the main site up high) digital data/IP networks...
stuff like that.

It's fascinating, and unfortunately -- expensive.  So there's not much
activity here in Colorado yet.  The coasts are getting some, and
ironically -- Alabama -- is turning out to be the hotbed of Amateur
Radio digital voice activity???  Yeah, I find that odd, and yet
interesting at the same time, too.

Since I was heavily involved in the early systems to link ANALOG radios
to the Internet, this fully-digital end-to-end thing has me very interested!

And the network I've been involved with for years now...

http://www.irlp.net/

And the newer system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-STAR

Announcements this week that Australia is "joining the fun" just add to
my curiosity.  A digital end-to-end call on a world-wide network that
acts similar to the cellular network, but is "open" enough that the
end-users can pass whatever data they like through it, while also
handling point to point and point to multipoint voice traffic, is like a
breath of fresh air for Amateur Radio... it'll be interesting to see
what develops.

http://www.dstarusers.org/

I'd link to the manufacturer's website, but the doofuses let their
domain name expire, and it's pulling up a NetSol parking page for the
moment.  Sigh...

The gateway software is running on Linux, worldwide.  Of course.  ;-)
The engineers at the radio company (Icom) kinda screwed some things up,
like most companies do when they first put things out, like only
"certifying" it with old Fedora versions, etc... and there aren't a
whole lot of Linux-savvy Ham Radio system admins, but there's a few...
and they're hacking where they can (some of the stuff is distributed as
binaries, of course... we all know how this mixture of commercial
products and Linux always starts...)

Toys...

And mixing radios and the Internet is WAY cool...

This radio: http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Transceivers/TT588 has an
Ethernet port on the back.

I've talked with guys who were sitting on the beach, sipping a Coke,
with their laptop on WiFi, with a headset on, controlling and talking
through their TenTec radio at home, hundreds of miles away.

Cool stuff.

http://www.hello-radio.com/ - For those needing an introduction to
Amateur Radio.

Nate