[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Thu Sep 27 12:37:40 MDT 2007

Kevin:

Whether or not we are living in the end times is irrelevant.  We have
been living in the end times since before Jesus left.  Jesus himself
said so, and he said that we won't know the time, that he'll come like a
thief in the night.  I'm pretty sure that he meant for us to grow in
faith (spiritual maturity), to share the reason for our faith, and to
care for other believers, contending in love with one another, as if he
just left ~and~ as if he were coming back next week, until he does come
back.  I have been unable to find any purpose in sharing the details of
the end times or Hell with unbelievers.  Some remain un-convicted,
regardless of the stick you use, and some are convicted and ready for
their Savior, before you beat them with the stick.  Jesus came for
sinners, the righteous have no need for forgiveness or guidance, and
there's no sense trying to convince them otherwise with threats of Hell
or the tribulation.

I might share may faith this way:  If you know that you've been
wandering around on a rooftop, blindfolded, and that you might fall off
someday or maybe you've already fallen off a few times...  If you're
ready to take off your blindfold, I want to introduce you to my hero.

Brian:

I agree that living by fear is not good.  My hero said that we will
always have three gifts, to the end of the game (he said 'age' not
'game'):  faith, love, and hope.  There are opposites to these gifts:
fear, hate, and resentment, perhaps.  They are the landmarks of the dark
side.  People learn best by positive example, though, so I teach myself,
not "what would Jesus do?", because I have neither his insight nor his
author's license, but, "Which of these paths/attitudes/choices is most
faithful, hopeful, and love full?  Which alternative is likely to grow
me in these things?  Which is likely to encourage the growth of my
sister, brother, or neighbor?"

Last, Pascal's wager still applies, because, as far as I know:
1) Only Jesus claims exclusivity.  I think all other major religions
allow for salvation by their means or whatever else you like.  Only
Jesus said there's just one way, over his dead body, and at his
resurrected feet.  :-)  To claim the gift, is tacit admission that he is
the solution to your problem.
2) And God let's you into the family, just because you have the faith to
ask.  He doesn't exclude you on your doubt.  You do that to yourself.
Live your faith, and let your doubt worry about itself.  Nobody runs to
God out of their fear of Hell.  If it were simple spiritual blackmail,
you wouldn't give in to it.  Any shred of self-respect would prevent it.
You might suicide, but you would never give in.  On the other hand, a
God that lays his son's body down to build you a "bridge", ~that~ you
can run to in faith, love, and hope.

It's impossible to bet with Pascal out of cynicism.  If you can bet with
Pascal, you can.  If you can't, you inherently bet against him, because
you don't believe in Jesus.  Perhaps it ought to be called Pascal's
Razor, but I think that's taken.