[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 07:55:49 MDT 2007

On 09-28 07:26, David Rudder wrote:

> This site definitely has a bias.  Mr. Spencer admits it.  And, there's
> nothing wrong with that.  But, you do get a very one-sided view of the
> issue from this site.  Is the counter to go to sites like Al Jazeera's
> web page, which is biased in the other direction?  Personally, I don't
> think 2 people with opposite agendas counter each other.  I think maybe
> it's a better idea to get your information from a site that's relatively
> unbiased.  Like the New York Times or the Rocky Mountain News or Bloomberg.

Regarding Al Jazeera, I have read a compelling article (granted, from the
left) that talks about Al Jazeera, and despite the demonization of them by
the corporate news here, that they try to do, and are doing, some of the
best journalism. Many top BBC people left to go work on the English version
Al Jazeera. Unfortunately, the only way for a U.S. citizen to get it is over
a computer at $19.95 a month.  I think Canada CAN get it, however.
Apparently, they aren't a-scared of hearing something different.

Granted, they are probably going to have a regional bias (and may do some
apologetics for Islam), just like our news blatantly does. I remember
someone writing that getting international opinion INTO America is like
going over a virtual China wall. I have hundreds of channels since I have
platinum cable, yet I don't have Al Jazeera english or the "real" BBC. I
have the dumbed down "American BBC" which offers little different from the
usual ridiculous fare or difference of perspective than the usual nonsense
served up by cable news and local news.  You know, cats stuck in trees, Anna
Nicole, OJ, and Paris. :) Instead of offering more of the same, why not show
some actually cojones and run something controversial and maybe something
that challenges assumptions.

Al jazeera gets a lot of flack, but not having ever been able to SEE it, how
could I tell what their bias is?

Incidentally, it's interesting to note that the U.S., prior to 9/11,
applauded Al jazeera for their role as an independent media outlet.
Interesting, no? Also interesting that Rumsfeld would make false accusations
about a network Americans cannot easily see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_jazeera#Criticism_and_controversy

Again, I cannot really make a judgement call myself because I cannot see it.
And I can't go on what CNN/Fox/MSNBC say about it, any more than I could
judge them by what they say about each other. And I *certainly* cannot go on
what this adminstration says about it.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Alcoholics Anonymous is when you get to drink under someone else's name.