[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Fri Sep 28 22:31:54 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 21:10 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> David L. Willson wrote:
>
> > And which one of you said that guilt and shame are not normal and
> > healthy responses to unhealthy behavior?  Are you ready to defend that
> > position?  'Because I'm ready to start attacking it.
>
> That was me, I said guilt and shame are learned behaviors, not something
> we're born with.  I didn't make any comments about whether or not guilt
> and shame relate to healthy or unhealthy behavior.
>
> Plenty of people feel guilty about innocuous things that are healthy,
> and on the flip side, others feel guilty about things that really are
> bad/unhealthy.
>
> It'll be interesting what you think about it.  Fire away!  :-)

Hmm...  Not sure we're going to get anywhere.  I was actually looking
for the Anton LaVey level of "guilt is just mind-control" kind of
theory.  Yours seems to be more along normal lines.  Dangit.  <kicks toe
in dirt>  Yes, sometimes people feel too guilty, or guilty for the wrong
reasons, or for too long, or it doesn't motivate a change.  All of which
are broken states.  We want a good, high-functioning guilt center, that
injects enough psychic pain to induce positive behavioral change.