[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Fri Sep 28 22:59:26 MDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 06:35:07PM -0600, David L. Willson wrote:

> People are born gay, brown-haired, alcoholic, skinny, lazy, short,
> crazy, and easy-going.  Being born with a predisposition toward a
> behavior or attitude does not define it as healthy.

It does not define it as unhealthy, either.

> are logically provable,  and yet the majority of people will
> emphatically deny, to preserve their self-interest.  Watch where the

Yeah... like the fact that those politicians who scream the loudest about
"family values" tend to be outed as gay, or seeking out prostitutes...

Now interestingly enough, I would have no problem with any given public
official being gay or having an affair or soliciting a prostitute. I think
that sex is an extremely personal and private activity. However, when someone
makes a career out of saying how evil such a practice is, then gets caught
doing something similar...

But I digress.

> The overall affect of the behavior on the survivability of the
> individual and the community determine right/good/healthy.

I think that you might find that plenty would argue that this is too
simplistic. It's another one of those black and white things.

To use one example: suppose you are trapped in a submarine with three other
people. There isn't enough air left for all four of you to last until a
rescue boat gets there. However, there's probably enough air if only three
people are breathing. And there's definitely enough if only two people are
breathing. By your definition, murdering two people in this situation would
be healthy, since it would ensure the survivability of both an individual and
part of the community.

> And which one of you said that guilt and shame are not normal and
> healthy responses to unhealthy behavior?  Are you ready to defend that
> position?  'Because I'm ready to start attacking it.

Oh dear lord, please don't.

:)

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
.signature not found!  reformat hard drive? [Yn]