[clue-talk] RMS and OpenBSD

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 10:40:53 MDT 2008

On 08-15 21:47, David L. Willson wrote:
> De Raadt goes to personal insults and you're going to back him?  Stallman may be a
> hard-liner, but he did keep it on the level, at least in this instance.  Yes, he gives
> some room for ribbing, but there's a gulf of difference between finding a comic funny
> and asking the man to "step aside".
>
> RMS is like the North Star, and as necessary.  We have a politician already, and a darn
> good one.  RMS is not a politician, at least, not a good one, and I'll vote that I don't
> want him to be.  I want him to continue to be balls-to-the-wall.
>
> Anyway, anyone that's doing the work will have my praise and not my criticism, if I can
> manage it.

I'm not asking the man to step aside, and I'm not exactly backing Theo
without any qualifications. Theo certainly has a certain rep as well. I'm
just wondering if RMS should take a good look at his actions, and ask
himself if he's helping or hurting others' efforts, and why he is doing
that.

As for doing the work, Theo ranks way up there, too, in my book. OpenBSD is
and probably always will be very niche, but openssh is certainly not.

As for having the praise and not the criticism, that's exactly my problem
with RMS in this case - there ARE others doing the work, and he's
aimed/aiming criticism at them (Linus, Theo) because of his position on what
constitutes "freedom". He seems to fail to understand that same freedom
means others might choose a different freedom from his...as Linux and Theo
both have.

As I said, he'll always get my praise for doing the work that he's done, but
that doesn't excuse all further actions.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Some lemmings stay behind.
-Bill Krul