[clue-talk] The original Debian announcement

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:27:49 MDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> Saw a note that Debian is 15 years old as of 16 August 1993, and was
> thinking about the goals of the project when it started:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.development/msg/a32d4e2ef3bcdcc6
>

> So... what do you guys/gals think?  The original goals of the project?
>
> A+?  C-?  F?  What's the grade?

I'm not sure that grading a distro based on original intent (remember
"640K is enough memory for anyone") accomplishes much. The software
and hardware environment has changed too much over the years for that
to matter. I give Debian good marks for no longer being the crusty old
software that won't run on a modern PC. They've made a lot of
progress, and, heck, only a few of the real gnu-nazis still believe
that KDE is evil.

--
Collins Richey