[clue-talk] The original Debian announcement

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Aug 20 06:51:54 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> So... what do you guys/gals think?  The original goals of the project?
>
> A+?  C-?  F?  What's the grade?

I'm more of a Fedora user, but I think the original goals of Debian were
very successful.  More importantly than setting these goals for a
distro, they set them for the industry.  Debian may not be easier to
install than Fedora, or slimmer or whatever.  But that's because Debian
challenged Fedora to get it right.  It's a credit to both that Fedora
rose to the challenge.

That's not saying Fedora is perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better
than it would have been without Debian.  I think that applies to all
serious desktop distros.

-Dave