[clue-talk] McCain suggests raiding Colorado's water

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Aug 20 13:13:29 MDT 2008

I wonder how attractive all these 3rd party candidates would be, if the
other two parties started taking them seriously.  They all have the
advantage that the other 2 parties don't go negative on them.  Negative
ads work, that's why campaigns keep using them.  I wonder if Ron Paul
would be as effective as he is if Karl Rove turned his attention Paul's
way.  "Lunatic", "unfit for command", "communist", "unstable", etc.
"Ron Paul will raise your taxes!!!"  Granted, none of that is true, but
you know the major parties would say it, and you know people would
believe it.

Hillary Clinton actually made the argument that she should win the
Democratic primary because she's better at dealing with the Republican
attacks.  Like no one remembers her getting taken to the cleaners in the
90s.   And, like common-sense and competence are not reasons to vote for
a president, political dexterity is.  But, it's true to an extent.  No
one can win the presidency without dealing with negative attacks any
longer....why do we think 3rd parties can?

-Dave