[clue-talk] IE8 "hidden history" will rat on you, Mozilla to follow suit

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Aug 30 11:34:33 MDT 2008

On 08-29 19:39, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hey all you privacy mavens, this one's interesting.

> [pasteage]
> automatically conceals sites visited by wiping clean browsing and search
> history, cookies, form data and passwords. It also clears the browser
> cache at the end of each session.
> [snip]
> Although casual users cannot see the previous user???s search history,
> authorities such as the police will be able to access it if necessary.
> Rival developer Mozilla said it is working to add similiar features to
> its Firefox browser, the New York Times reported.
> [/pasteage]

Hm, looked for this using the key phrases such as "porn mode", and found
this:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=824625&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

THAT is probably the feature the NYT/Fox is referencing?

Seems a waste of time to put in, as there are other ways to do this, such as
the "browser appliance" from VMWare, as well as various plugins?

Or set up another profile, have that set up to delete everything...

I certainly hope they got it wrong about the maintaining history so that
alleged "authorities" can search your drive...

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
		-- Groucho Marx