[clue-talk] Re: [clue-tech] The latest Debian feud - worth a read

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 12:23:33 MST 2008

> Collins Richey wrote:
> > http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2008/12/28/debian-philosophy-and-people/
>
> Yes,
I'm a zealot, though not particularly wild-eyed. ;-)  Could we move
this to Talk?  That seems a more appropriate forum to me.

> Thanks for your consideration.
> Dave

I'm a pragmatist.  I want the _freedom_ to install free _and_ non-free software where I feel each is appropriate.  What I wouldn't give for a native binary for Adobe products and games, for example.  In any case, ship a fully compliant free distribution of Debian.  Please just include the easy button to install non-free software.  It can't be all that hard to make a meta-package to add a repository of non-free software and then install a list of commonly installed and recommended software because the fact remains, free software hasn't filled all the holes of non-free software... yet.  Graphics drivers stick out like a sore thumb in this regard.  And just for fairness, the proprietary graphics drivers fall short of features when compared to their counterparts on other OSes; hardware accelerated video, where are you?  Include the free software manifesto as a popup when the user clicks the button for all I care.  The majority will pay as much attention to
 that as they do to the EULA that ships with non-free software.