[clue-talk] free as in speech, not free as in beer

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 09:39:39 MST 2008

At the meeting I said that the GPL does not forbid charging for free
software.  At the time I did not look for a reference but this is from
the GNU Project's website:

	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

This is a snippet from the GPL V3 license regarding the allowable fee
for the source.  Version 2 preceded the widespread use of the Internet,
so it is silent about network servers.

   for a price no more than your reasonable cost of physically
   performing this conveying of source, or (2) access to copy the
   Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.

Because anyone has the right to distribute, the price is kept down to
distribution costs.