[clue-talk] free as in speech, not free as in beer

Ariel Gold arielqgold at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:15:40 MST 2008

Not only does the GPL not forbid charging for software but the GNU project
encourages people to "charge as much as they wish or can."

As you said, the only exception is a limit on the fees for source code. I
think the reasoning behind that is important, and serves to protect our
freedom:

"The one exception is in the case where binaries are distributed without the
corresponding complete source code. Those who do this are required by the
GNU GPL to provide source code on subsequent request. Without a limit on the
fee for the source code, they would be able set a fee too large for anyone
to pay—such as a billion dollars—and thus pretend to release source code
while in truth concealing it. So in this case we have to limit the fee for
source, to ensure the user's freedom. In ordinary situations, however, there
is no such justification for limiting distribution fees, so we do not limit
them."   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html