[clue-talk] Politics, anyone?

David Maddox softwareanddesign at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:08:27 MST 2008

Oh dear. I was reading this discussion and saying "hey, it's time I went to
a CLUE meeting!" but wow, it went from enthusiastic to analytical to wounded
egos, just like every other political discussion I've seen :-( But it's
still time, if you'll have me after reading this... :-) I learned an
interesting thing talking politics overseas (where it's safe to do so, like
Western Europe), many people outside America support candidates without
worrying about whether they "can win," a fascinating concept in itself, and
if another person waves generalizations and/or opinions, the other people
will debate furiously, but they come from a passionate point of view, not a
need to defend themselves. So refreshing! But then, when you read where I
have recent arrived from, you'll see why I might be particularly jaded in
this area.

Other countries love to hear about "how Americans think" especially on
politics. The BBC had a correspondent here for decades just reporting to the
amazed Brits about things in the former colonies in his "Letter from
America." I know our Earthly future (only future for atheists I suppose)
depends on who we elect, but still, the whole process is pretty funny, even
if you cry a little too. Having seen the video of Ralph Nader getting
rejected from a presidential debate  hall with just a video audience ticket
by a Mass. State trooper, I think this here horse race is fixed, as someone
said above. They showed a "face book" of all the others to keep out, too.
But I'm not cynical, no no no...

I will end with a joke: when I arrived here from Taxachusetts (though I only
paid 5% sales tax there), the motor-voter clerk signed me up while I got my
driver's license, and joked at my Republican choice "what, did you get
kicked out of Massachusetts?" Nearly, oh man they will shoot themselves in
foot there if it serves their ideology. Anyway, come to get my confirmation
in the mail - Democrat. I didn't know they had political press-gangs here!
Probably just in Denver. Or was it a "computer error?" Ahem...

Oh, and the more populous bottom third of New Hampshire is now
Massachusetts, if you haven't heard. They went up there for a better life
and lower taxes, and now they want all the services they're missing.

Do I have to do an ObLinux? Just in case, I will: I did a lot of Linux stuff
in the past, drivers and realtime stuff, even. But I didn't keep up
recently, and I'm wondering what folks tend to install at the Installfest I
just missed. I've got a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I will be retiring
hopefully this spring from Windows XP servitude, and I only know SuSE and
Redhat flavors, it seems like Ubuntu might be interesting. If this is a FAQ,
well, I tried... :-) Thanks!

Dave