[clue-talk] the cult of mac

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jul 1 13:58:06 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:

> MacOS is not free.  I prefer freedom.  I also resent how little Mac contributes back to
> the community.  OTOH, the machines are reputed to be easy to use.  (The strength of

Well put (the whole posting).  I just had a thought during this part
that I thought I'd share...

Apple (like most companies) may not give back code (easily) to the
community, but they at least give back some.

And they contribute to overall society in some useful ways, like most
companies, but only in ways that help them overall.  (Cheap computers
for schools, their "trademark" for as long as I can remember.)

They also have some pretty nice programming and learning tutorials for
coding newbies in the form of the online versions of WWDC and online
community of their own.

I'm not saying these things are "the best", but they at least have some
things going the "directions" you appear to value.

Nate