[clue-talk] the recent "green" fads - or "Stupid Green"

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jul 1 14:08:33 MDT 2008

Taken out to the n-th degree (pun intended, since this relates to
server/datacenter cooling), with energy use on everyone's minds right
now -- even with gasoline just MATCHING the price of fancy bottled
WATER, not even above it yet... on a per gallon basis...

(Think about that one for a minute...)

Sitting at a computer reading e-mail or surfing for "fun" could easily
be frowned upon as a frivolous waste of electrons, someday.

You just never know...

But I had to share some "green" stuff I've seen at my company and
elsewhere that makes little sense.

I laughed out loud when my company DEMANDED that all employees add this
to our e-mail signatures:

"Please consider your social responsibility when printing this e-mail."

Yep... it's really on there.  (Well, I resisted and didn't add it.
Probably means I'll never get a promotion again.  Ha!  Damn cults.)  And
we really send that crap to customers.

Even scarier, there's a cult here of workers who live in the Boulder
area (not kidding) who've really bought into this thing.  They get upset
at people and have social issues with people who haven't put it on their
e-mail signatures yet.  Seriously!

First off... I haven't heard a printer printing anything all day, and
didn't before either.  So spamming ourselves with this phrase is doing
what, exactly?  And spamming customers with it?!

I edited it and sent it back to a few trusted co-workers and a boss
who's cool about such things:

"Please consider your social responsibility when using your computer and
burning tons of coal a day to keep our data center running and cool at
the same time.  Microsoft Exchange requires far more resources than a
phone call."

Other fun Dilbert-esque "green" policies include:

No official work from home policy, but banning the purchase of plastic
water bottles.

(I burn more in petroleum driving one way to work than all of the
bottles this facility went through in a year used, and all of those were
RECYCLED!)

Company picnics and parties 40+ miles from the office area.

(If I lived near the office, I'd care more... but I live 27 miles away
anyway.  I did suggest that I might be thrown in the gulag if I show up
at the company party in our family Suburban though -- someone might
lynch me.)

Company required training sessions 30+ miles away at the other company
offices, when we are a MANUFACTURER of videoconferencing equipment.

(Shouldn't using that equipment be MANDATORY, as in "eat your own dog
food?"...)

Tons of people driving Priuses (Prii? - GRIN)... don't get me started on
that.

Sigh... it's all so silly, bordering on truly retarded.  So many "green"
initiatives just move the energy use problem around, they don't
eliminate the actual use.

(How much power does it take to CREATE a solar panel?  Will it make all
of that back PLUS MORE in its lifetime?)

"Green" is the new "Dot Com" marketing fad, but it's being implemented
by idiots, without any real regard for where the biggest impact would be
seen.  Or more likely, it's implemented only as a way to sell things,
not out of true desire to change things.  Only to "appear concerned".

If you were to put in an IP phone system at a co-lo and a few virtual
desktops for customer VPN access, and half of this building could sit
empty or even be let go -- saving a lot of money and requiring one less
building to be heated and cooled.  Additionally, everyone's use of
energy to transport themselves to and from a separate building for work
every day, would be eliminated.

No need for the majority of the staff to be here physically, at all...
and all of the work could still get done.

Have a small space in an office building for the sales and/or whoever
needs face to face meetings, and lab space for things just too
big/expensive to take home with you to test with.

Add another small work area for anyone too irresponsible to handle
working from home, or anyone who demands to come into the "office"
because they need to get out of their houses for whatever reason, you're
still doing 10x more to save the environment than stopping buying water
bottles, and having a new e-mail signature line about printing.

Maybe we need a new phrase:  Like the cleaning product -- "Simple
Green"... let's just call this "Stupid Green".

Share your "Stupid Green" stories, if you dare... I'm curious how many
other lovely misguided corporations are implementing "green" things that
make no sense at all.

Nate