[clue-talk] Heller

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jul 1 15:36:07 MDT 2008

David Rudder wrote:

> Does anyone on this list own a gun with a trigger lock?  Does it really
> make it impossible to defend your home?  I have drawer locks on the
> drawers in my kitchen, but I can still use my knives and cleaning
> chemicals, it just takes an additional 10 seconds to get to them.
> -Dave

Depends on how fast you need it.  Would you put a lock on your fire
extinguishers?

I know - bad analogy, but just trying to figure out their line of thinking.

One of the advancements that a lot of police officers avail themselves
of is something called a clip-less safety, on semi-automatic weapons.

If the clip is dropped out, the gun can't be fired.

Thus, in situations where someone is physically trying to remove the gun
from your person, if you can get your thumb to the clip drop and get it
to fall out, even if a round is chambered, they can't shoot you with
your own weapon.

Cops find themselves far too close (since firearms whole purpose is to
give you stand-off distance from the bad person) to people, and train
not to get the weapon into reaching distance of the bad guys, but it
happens... having a clip-less safety can (sometimes) save their lives.

Meanwhile, their partner will probably shoot the idiot trying to take
the gun away, making sure they're quite dead.  Messing with a cop's
weapon is a way to become a blood stained corpse on the floor.

Then of course, there's the gray area of "suicide by cop"... that's a
whole study in human behavior that's pretty ugly.

Nate