[clue-talk] Heller

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Jul 1 16:15:23 MDT 2008

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:08:53 -0600
Nate Duehr wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> > Ugh. With a magazine safety, if you have a round in the chamber, and
> > your magazine falls out at the wrong moment, you're prevented from
> > firing when you need to. Ever accidentally bump the magazine release?
> > I know, it's not a common thing, but Murphy will kick your ass if you
> > let him.
>
> Honest answer?  Never.
>
> (Not saying others haven't accidentally dropped a clip before, but I am
> rarely firing weapons in stressful situations, and if any weapon I was
> using let a clip fall out that easily, I'd take it in for repair, or
> get a better-designed model.)

Well, failures always happen at the wrong time. If people (cops included)
can accidentally pull the trigger and shoot themselves (lots of examples
of that), then they can also accidentally drop the magazine -- doesn't
even have to be in an attempted disarm situation. Doesn't imply a faulty
weapon either.

If I need to fire, and I pull the trigger, and it doesn't fire (and I've
disengaged the safety, and there's a round in the chamber) then that's a
defect in my book.

> I don't own one of the "clip-less safety" weapons, but have a family
> member that does.
>
> I just found it interesting when I saw it (and tested it under
> controlled conditions), and thought I'd share.

Aaaaaaugh. It's a magazine, not a clip! :) (Just thought I'd share that.)

jed