[clue-talk] the recent "green" fads - or "Stupid Green"

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Jul 2 18:25:51 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:31:52 -0600
Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Have you heard of the Zap Xebra? I heard a bit about it on an NPR
> podcast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZAP_Xebra

The 3-wheel motorcycle has a lot of potential for lightweight, high fuel
efficiency transport, as long as we can keep the blissninny legislatures
from regulating it out of possibility. Such a vehicle would be no more
risky than a motorcycle or scooter, and would likely be safer, even
without the burden of massive govt. requlations. A lightweight and
aerodynamic shell would provide protection from rain, and allow enclosed
storage of a few bags of groceries, laptop, briefcase, etc.

The main problem with a tricycle configuration is stability in turns.
That's why the ATV industry got away from them, and into 4-wheelers. I
don't know whether a longer wheelbase, or other remedies, are effective
in mitigating this. IIRC, the short wheelbase of the 3-wheel ATV was
cited as an issue.

Might be a tadpole trike configuration would work better, but I don't
know if it can be made as aerodynamic -- I'd guess an enclosed tadpole
would be more so than a typical scooter.

jed