[clue-talk] Linux Counter

Mon Jul 7 10:39:35 MDT 2008

> > Get counted, if you haven't already:
> >
> > http://counter.li.org
> >
> > It always bugs me that this thing shows no growth.  Have we really reached critical mass
> > already?
>
> No, we've reached maximum boredom with the Linux counter.  :-)

I wonder if that's really true.  I still think the counter's cool, and briefly
considered setting up the update script on all my boxen.

If the counter's no longer cool, maybe Linux itself is no longer cool.  It does seem
that large sections of the industry have decided that Linux is not the hippie-cool thing
it once was, but it's just free sh*.  Heck, I see that attitude a ~lot~.

It amazes me that I still find Linux (and the whole Free Software thing) incredibly
exciting and inherently cool after all these years.  The more I know about it, the more
I want to know and the more I want to help it grow.

Anyway, I thought of one at least somewhat reliable counter we could look at, if we
could look at it:  the overall number of hits at DistroWatch.  Is there any way to see
that plotted over time?

Anyone else have an idea of how to figure out whether our community is growing or
shrinking or neither or both by turns?

-- David