[clue-talk] Download FireFox3 today!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 18 18:06:48 MDT 2008

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
>> What does it do (and who's tested it) that 2.x didn't?  Anything worth
>> having, or is this just a lemming rush to be the first to encounter new
>> bugs?
>
> I've been using it for a few months.  The new awesome bar is truly
> awesome.  Rather than remembering domains I now just start typing
> words that are in the URL and/or title of the page and the awesome bar
> presents possible matches.

Awesome bar, eh?  LOL.  I know a few of those, and they aren't in web
browsers.  (Heh.)

> The browser itself is also much faster in several ways than previous
> versions - page rendering and the execution of javascript are the
> places I notice speed improvements the most.

Faster is good, but not a reason for me to try a version x.0 of anything.

You've seen my conclusions that "Software engineering -- Isn't."  It's a
major problem with the software biz that won't be fixed any time soon.

> The Betas and RCs that I've used were about as stable as the 2.x
> branch.  The biggest problems I had were plugin related.  If you use
> lots of plugins, you might want to try it out (from a zip build)
> before replacing your current firefox to see whether it's worth
> upgrading or not...

I don't use a lot of plugins, but I see Google is killing the one I
always used... Google Browser Sync.  Sigh...

Nate