[clue-talk] Smaller than your typical SBC

Yaverot Yaverot at computermail.net
Fri Mar 14 10:57:31 MDT 2008

--- cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net wrote:
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>> Not sure what you can do with it... 55 MHz, 8 MB of RAM... how much of
>> that does the IP stack take?

>Hey, back in the old days, people ran DECnet routing nodes on PDPs with
>4MB of RAM. I'd be immensely surprised, and disappointed, if this weren't
>capable of being a router/firewall, with room left over for something
>else (though I don't know what that'd be).

Can you do either of those with a single Ethernet jack? In both of those cases isn't the point to keep bad packets off of your local net?

Now I can easily see it being a web server that's only purpose is to say "Hey did you mean the secure server?" (Or even many static pages.)

Of course, there were plenty of things I could do on a 4Mhz system with 64K that were near impossible with a 12Mhz 286 w/1MB ram. My mind blanks now, except the 3D spreadsheet.