[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon May 26 10:04:37 MDT 2008

> He's also against the Iraq war, which I guess is strictly
> > in line with his conservative credentials, but is opposite of what much
> > of his demographic feels.
>
> I'm not a war monger, but I do believe that a precipitous pull out
> from Iraq would do more harm to the region and our own interests than
> whatever form of "staying the course" McCain will come up with.

I'm not sure how we can get out of Iraq without leaving a mess.  Carving
separate states out of it is not an answer, and not something we have
the right to do anyway.  I don't know if progressive pullouts as areas
are stabilized and returned to the national govt will work either.  And
the longer we stay, the more bases we build, the bigger our buildup, the
greater the resentment of people who want their own govt in charge.

How long will the govt stand after we pull out?

> > P.S.  I'm an Obamican.  I'm not looking for a real conservative, I'm
> > looking for a real progressive.
>
> As far as I'm concerned a "real progressive" is one who believes
> fervently in the intrusion of the nanny state into every aspect of our
> lives - our freedom comes from whatever little breathing room the
> state allows us - and in that respect Obama is the perfect candidate.
> With McCain I get about 50% of what I'd like to see in a candidate (I
> was a Romney supporter); with Obama it's 0% or less. Obama has
> promised to destroy the health care system with a no-choice system of
> government control that has never worked well anywhere, to destroy the
> economy with new taxes to fund newly invented victim groups, and to
> sit down with any and every demoniacal dictator/madman in the world
> for a kum-ba-ya moment.
>
> In any case and however much I respect Barr in general, the platform
> of a Libertarian candidate is very much immaterial in the election.

I've never been clear how a progressive differs from a liberal.