[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:44:24 MDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM, David Rudder
<david.rudder at reliableresponse.net> wrote:
> Bob Barr just got the nod from the Libertarian Party, right here in
> Denver.
>
> Barr is campaigning as a true conservative.  When the California Supreme
> Court laid down its decision to allow gay marriage, Barr responded with
> "It's a state's right issue, and whatever California does is good for
> California".

Where else would you find "true conservative" and approval for gay
marriage in the same paragraph?

He's also against the Iraq war, which I guess is strictly
> in line with his conservative credentials, but is opposite of what much
> of his demographic feels.

I'm not a war monger, but I do believe that a precipitous pull out
from Iraq would do more harm to the region and our own interests than
whatever form of "staying the course" McCain will come up with.

> His big platform comes down to
> - Cut spending on earmarks
> - Tax reform
> - Protect liberties without the nanny state
> - Secure the borders, not foreign countries
> - Non-intervention
>
> So, what do you all think?

Except for the non-intervention plank which can be interpreted many
ways, quite an acceptable platform.

> P.S.  I'm an Obamican.  I'm not looking for a real conservative, I'm
> looking for a real progressive.

As far as I'm concerned a "real progressive" is one who believes
fervently in the intrusion of the nanny state into every aspect of our
lives - our freedom comes from whatever little breathing room the
state allows us - and in that respect Obama is the perfect candidate.
With McCain I get about 50% of what I'd like to see in a candidate (I
was a Romney supporter); with Obama it's 0% or less. Obama has
promised to destroy the health care system with a no-choice system of
government control that has never worked well anywhere, to destroy the
economy with new taxes to fund newly invented victim groups, and to
sit down with any and every demoniacal dictator/madman in the world
for a kum-ba-ya moment.

In any case and however much I respect Barr in general, the platform
of a Libertarian candidate is very much immaterial in the election.

--
Collins Richey