[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Thu May 29 08:57:09 MDT 2008

On Wed May 28 2008 9:45:14 pm Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Another analogy. In baseball (or pick some other sport), everybody
> understands that at the end of the season, it's the team that won the
> most games that takes the championship, not the one that scored the most
> points. There's a similar notion at work with the presidency, in that the
> winner has to be able to compete effectively not in just the most
> populous regions.

I would disagree that this is what is happening. Candidates are still
focussing their efforts on the most populous regions, and ignoring those that
don't have a lot of people. In this case, it is because of the disparity in
electoral votes. Like the example I used earlier: Montana has 3 votes,
California has 55. Candidates are still going to ignore Montana and focus on
California.

I also don't agree with the baseball analogy: it is very possible for a
candidate to lose more states than he or she wins, but still get elected
president. All that candidate has to do is win the big states; the entire
middle of the country doesn't matter if the candidate wins NY, California,
Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Florida. Win those 7 states, and the
candidate has 209 of the 270 needed votes.

- Michael (.sig coming soon)