[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Thu May 29 11:08:48 MDT 2008

On Wed May 28 2008 7:19:39 pm Collins Richey wrote:

> > One thing that libertarians, moderates, liberals and progressives seem to
> > agree about is that the current administration has made a mess of things.

> You failed to add conservatives. Conservatives, however, differ on the
> specific aspects of what Bush has messed up.

True, very true. Though I would bet that there is overlap between all of the
various political/philosophical groups on some aspects.

> I fail to see any evidence of Mr. Ritter breaking us out of any
> political rut. His predilection for executive fiat and
> I-never-saw-a-tax-I-didn't-love are pure politics, just another rut on
> the left side of the road.

Obviously, I disagree on this point. Ritter is actually following through on
his campaign promises, he is not beholden to special interests, and he is
balancing power between business and workers.

> I strongly doubt that we would have seen any less emphasis on natural
> energy alternatives if Ritter had lost.

We spent 12 years with Bill Owens actively working towards further enshrining
oil and gas corporations here in Colorado. Owens had absolutely no interest
in renewable energy - other than as a talking point in his speeches. Ritter
has not only fully dedicated his administration to this, but has also
actively encouraged renewable energy companies to come to Colorado. This type
of dedication did not happen under Owens, and would not have if Bob Beauprez
had been elected.

> You could be right, but I shudder at the thought. You certainly will
> not see an economic recovery if Obama is elected, unless of course
> you're in one of the "victim" classes he will tax us to promote.

I disagree again. :) We'll see an economic recovery even greater than after
Bill Clinton took office. Obama's economic philosophy is straight-forward:
help people earn more money, and they will spend more money. It's a win-win
for individuals and business. And it worked very well in the mid-to-late 90s.

It worked much, MUCH better than the Bush administration's policies, which
made the ultra-rich one of the "victim" classes you mentioned.

- Michael (.sig coming soon)