[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Thu May 29 15:33:56 MDT 2008

From: Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>

> On May 29, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Louis Miller wrote:
>
> > And if we ever actually pay for the war in Iraq. I heard we owe
> > China a lot of money. That is just embarassing. And I hope we get
> > socialized medicine, and there is some fund we would get the money
> > from, in 2010 to fund it. But, taxes need to go up so we can pay the
> > national debt.
>
> A "TABOR" style law for the Federal budget where the people actually
> get "veto power" over what is being spent, sure would be nice.
>
> I can't say I would have voted to pay for Iraq (if they had no way to
> pay for it, would it have happened?), to give China money, or
> eventually start paying for socialized medicine.  My "representatives"
> certainly did, and they apparently don't care if I like it or not.
>
> What a great job... sit around all day, and get paid big bucks by
> special interest groups to spend other people's money.  Are we ever,
> en masse, as a country, going to wake up to how stupid this is?
>
> --
> Nate Duehr
> nate at natetech.com

The problem is that legislatures operate on the "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" philosophy.  That's probably unfair.  You form coalitions to get your bill passed, and part of that is that you agree to support someone else's bill, unless you actually oppose that bill.  So you say yes to many bills that you might not really care about, but maybe should say no to.